Friday, June 27, 2008

New Bodice

Inspiration struct me the other day, so I started one using the corset pattern maker at: http://www.elizabethancostume.net/custompat/index.html. Just wanted to see how accurate the measurements would be with the tabs. Wish I would have found this before I started the first bodice for mom. Much easier. I've also created my own can tab pattern in Adobe Illustrator where I superimposed the tabs over the image created by the online pattern maker. Still working on little tweaks like the spacing, but, now I don't need to guess on the shape. Yeah!! Here is the front so far:

can tab bodice

Apologies. Pattern has been removed. Please contact me if interested in obtaining it.


I've been told the style looks like something from the Nutcracker Ballet.

As you can tell in the pic, this horizontal tabs are spaced much to far apart in AI causing it too be to wide. This is actually as good thing because of the stretchiness of the bodice. Anyway, I wanted to try adding variety by making a subtle pattern in the weave by turning the tabs over in places (as you can barely see in the above pic). Didn't show up that well, at first. But, it gave me another idea to run a contrasting cord through the upside-down tabs. More color! Look closely in the far left corner of the bodice.

can tab bodice black and red

I'm running into some problems with the victorian-style experiment I mentioned because I used nonstretchy shoelaces and weaved them too tight, I think. The lacings under the arms will not line up straight. Argghh!

****************UPDATE******************

Pic from TRF with flat cap hat
soda tab corset and hat

6 comments:

Green With Me said...

How do you get your pieces so tall?! I've been working on a purse and it's a few inches tall now and I can't seem to hold onto it to add any more rows.... do you have any suggestions for me so that I can finish it? Please! lol. Thank you for your time.

mieljolie said...

Not sure I understand the problem, but I tend to hold my larger projects upside down in my lap while adding tabs to the top. Sometimes, I also try to break the piece up into smaller sections that I join together later. This is only because I might mess up and don't want to have to pull off half the tabs in my work to fix something. I just have to redo/adjust the smaller section.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your purse. I'd love to see pics of it.

Anonymous said...

Your work is beautiful!!! i have been wanting to do something like this for a long time, but i couldn't get it right. Your pictures really helped! thanks sooooo much. I do have a question though.... Off of what did you get the large tabs? They add so much to the bodice?!

mieljolie said...

ThriftyMisty, the large gold tabs on the bodice were actually from Bumblebee Tuna/Chicken Salad cans believe it or not. Our neighbor can't seem to get enough of that stuff. So, I collected quite a few of them. I'm working on a flat cap hat to match my bodice using more of those tabs. You can find similar tabs on Dole/Del Monte fruit cans and various soup cans. But, some of those are other metals besides aluminum. You can check with a magnet if you care to.

You will definitely have to show me your tabistry progress. I'd love to see what you create!

Chels said...

Woo hoo! I am feeling inspired! How do you put the corset on though.. o_O. Will start with something simple. ;)

mieljolie said...

chelsea, putting any corset on is a challenge! lol Especially by youreslf with only back lacing.

Mine is laced in back as well as the sides. This makes it more adjustable. The side lacing can be tricky, but are much easier than the back. Victorian-style corsets usually have a "busk" which is a series of hooks, that is used in the front. Then, you have someone help you put it on using the back lace, but you can remove it easier from the front. I'm going to be working on creating something like this soon.

Good luck with your tabistry projects!