1 hour ago
Saturday, November 28, 2015
We just recently hosted our daughter's 3rd Harry Potter themed birthday party. She's now a teenager?! :O How time flies! We had lots of fun with the party. Even after two previous years of Harry Potter parties, we still managed to create a few new things for year number three's Prisoner of Azkaban theme.
The first one I'll share is for our WIP dementor, Pete (His name is inspired by the Moosebutter song. We love all the clever Wizard Rock songs out there). Our dementor never quite got fully assembled, but we may get him finished before year Five when dementors show up near Privet Drive and the Ministry. But, I managed a pair of hands and a quick mask. Here is a brief tutorial of how I made the hands:
This process is very similar to how I made my dragon wings. I started with a wire hanger, some wooden beads (from a Christmas cranberry garland I found on the clearance table years ago. I've used these beads in many projects.) and lots of masking tape. I like the masking tape because it was already the color I wanted, it stays flexible and easy to use.
I straightened the hanger and cut the wire to lengths and placed the beads where I wanted them for the joints in the fingers and taped them in place.
Then, I taped the fingers from tip to bottom leaving extra tape off both ends to make a pointy tip.
Next, I taped the fingers together one at a time adding them to the hand. Then wrapped more tape around to secure them in place. Some tape was wrapped between the fingers until they wouldn't move around too much. At this point I bent the fingers to resemble a more natural hand shape. This isn't really necessary, yet. They will still be posable once finished.
I painted the taped covered wire with lots of fabric paint. The mixture of translucent Glow-In-The-Dark and Black slick paint makes a good slimy gray flesh of the dementor. One good squirt of black directly into the GITD paint bottle should be enough. (The applicator tip should pop off to make it easier to squirt the black in.) Shake it really well, and then shake it some more. You can test it and clear the tip of unmixed paint. Let it dry to determine the actual color.
Once the whole hand is covered, I added more paint as a webbing between the fingers. I found the fabric paint bottles were convenient to spread the fingers.
Once completely dry you can pose the hand however you like. Be sure to not lay it on anything it will stick to. If it is tacky, rub it with a little corn starch to prevent it from sticking.
This is what I ended up with. They were fun to pose around the house. I want to make a second pair with attached arm to hang them on Pete easier.
Here is Pete's face. I used a plastic skull with it's mouth open to mold a piece of foil over before taping the foil and painting it the same way I did the hands. It looks lighter, but it is the same color as the hands. I'm still on the lookout for a suitable fabric for the dementor's robes. I see that the cheaper decorations this year are using black interfacing-like fabric. It may be too stiff for my purposes, though.
Our hands ended up guarding the entertainment system cabinet, so older students wouldn't try to skip class and watch football. :/
But, I think they look just as creepy hanging out in the quidditch trunk my sister made for us. :) Next, I hope to post about some shrunken heads my mom and I made and the inexpensive upcycled bell jars we put them into.