Monday, March 5, 2012

Pinstriped Suit Revamped



This past weekend we decided to attend a ragtime ball with live music at the Son's of Herman Hall in Dallas. (Sorry some of the pics are so blurry. I used the timer.)



His outfit was a wee more work than mine. But, I figure he can rewear the parts for steampunk events, too.



I got the idea to remake an old pinstriped wool suit into some "plus fours" with matching vest and newsboy cap. It worked pretty well! Somehow I got the knickerbockers a bit short for my liking, but they turned out okay. Next time I must remember to "measure twice, cut once". The vest was made from the suit jacket. I used an existing vest as a pattern for this one, aligning it over the existing rather large suit pockets the best I could. I used the existing plastic buttons, that I eventually want to replace with metal ones. The jacket lining also included two pockets for a total of 5 pockets on this vest! Can't have too many pockets, can you? I mean how else is he going to hold all my stuff?! LOL!

From what I had left of the suit jacket and pant legs, I made him a matching newsboy cap. I did some poking around online for a free newsboy pattern. I took inspiration from a couple tutorials here and here. These were a bit big and full, I think. I changed it up to a six panel crown. It took a few mockups to get something I was happy with. I could still pick at it, but it was pretty easy to put together.



For my outfit, I kept it pretty simple. I just put together a 20's flapper-style inspired outfit with some pieces I had around. The dress was one I think I once wore to a wedding banquet years ago. The length was a bit short for the time period, so I added a black skirt under it. The arm warmers were cut from tights and the head band is just a piece of lace trim with an elastic hair band sewn to it. I poked the ostrich feather into a barrette in back, which kept it from moving around when we danced. And, of course, I rolled my stocking down as any daring flapper would do.



It was an enjoyable night that was well worth the effort. And, boy are my tootsies sore from dancing! Later!

6 comments:

mieljolie said...

Forgot to mention, I found a great video tutorial for making a newsboy cap, also known as a "flat cap" or "baker boy cap". You can find it here:

http://journal.lastwear.com/?p=22

I didn't follow this one, but it is very similar to what I did for the outer portion, except I made my lining the same as the outer and created a hatband binding that folds in that can be replaced easily when soiled.

Mieljolie

mieljolie said...

Here's another cap tutorial for a more tailored one. The hat lining is more similar to how I went about it, too:

http://aboutgoodness.com/2012/01/02/mens-flat-cap-gatsby-hat-pattern-diy-tutorial/

Enjoy!

Mieljolie

Leah said...

Love your costumes in this post and the previous one. Looks like a lot of fun.

mieljolie said...

Thanks, Leah! Both were indeed a LOT of fun! I love playing dress up. :)

Mieljolie

The Cardboard Crafter said...

I love it! (Especially his cool duds ;) Great job, innovative as always.

mieljolie said...

Thanks, TCC! It's always nice seeing a man dressed up for a change, even if he is wearing knickers. ;)

mieljolie